Blog Archive

Monday, November 30, 2009

Something that I have read lately....

I have been trying to read my scriptures more diligently lately....I was reading the November issue of the ensign (in preparation for visiting teaching) and happened upon the talk Mind The Gap....This quote speaks volumes to me....

"When I left high school, my goals were to attend college for at least a couple of years, get married to a handsome man, and have four perfect, beautiful children (two boys and two girls). My husband was to have a large income so I wouldn’t need to work, and then I planned to do Church and community service. Thankfully, one of my goals was to be an active and faithful member of the Church.

Well, as you may know, many of my goals were not realized in the way I had hoped. I finished college, served a mission, got a job, continued on with my schooling to earn a master’s degree, and continued working in my profession for many years. (I thought marriage was sure to happen 13 years ago when I opened a fortune cookie and read, “You will be married in less than a year.”) But there was no handsome man, no marriage, and no children. Nothing had gone as I had planned except for one thing. I tried to be an active and faithful member of the Church. For this I am most grateful. It has made all the difference in my life."

Wow....Lately I have been looking at my life and realizing I have not ended up where I planned....and everything I "plan" to do either doesn't work out or turns out to be a miserable choice...or so it seems.....it makes me wonder....maybe I should be more prayerful and pay attention to more what the Lord has in store for me versus what I think I should be doing....well anyway...this talk really hit home.....life rarely turns out the way you think it is going to....and as long as I put the proper things first in my life I will experience something more rewarding than I ever could have imagined...even if it wasn't what I thought I wanted.....it seems actually that the whole conference is targeted toward me now that I am reading through it....I get a totally different experience reading the conference talks than I do from hearing them....and it is wonderful....well anyway...that is my thought of the week....

No comments: