Blog Archive

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Some lesson.

Well I made it to relief society today- it seems like ages since I have been able to go because of Andy's work schedule. The lesson was on Home teaching/ Visiting teaching which is always a good topic...and yet all I seemed to get out of the lesson was that being a stay-at-home mom stinks....how sad...all the women (since most of them are stay-at-home moms or moms in general) just whined about how much it sucked to be stuck at home with their kids....they would begin their statements with "although children are a blessing..." or "I love my kids but..."; all I could think of the entire time was- "And this is supposed to make me want to have children?" Wow...that is all I have to say...I kind of miss Wymount....mom's seemed happier there...at this rate kids will probably never happen... unless it is an accident....I already know all the down sides to having children...I need to hear the upsides...the statements that make me jealous of people who have kids.....

A shout out to my mom friends! You are all so amazing!!!! I know you have chosen probably the hardest- no wait- the hardest task in life....and yet in some way I know it is the most rewarding....although at this point in my life I cannot see it...all of you mom's you are an inspiration to me...please continue to be an example to me of motherhood so that one day I might want to join you in this struggle of making the world a better place by raising good children....you mom's that are striving to teach your children right from wrong is the reason there is any goodness left on this earth....I love all of you mom's- past, present, and future!

7 comments:

Crystal/Scott/Charlie/John said...

I've had that experience too in Relief Societies where it turns into a support group for disgruntled moms and I'm left thinking, wait, why am I supposed to want to have kids? I finally decided that it'll be a big leap of faith, but also, that when the time is right Heavenly Father will help me WANT to have kids, taking the good and the bad. He did that for me with a mission. I was worried I would feel like i was supposed to go but I wouldn't want to. He totally gave me the experiences I needed to get me to that point where I could be excited about it. My cousin said when her little boy was born she'd been told for so long how hard it would be raising a kid that it turned out not to be anywhere near as unpleasant as she'd pictured it. Anyway, there's my comment. :) And congrats on your winning the bracelet contest!! I liked your name!

BrieAnn said...

Sarah,
I'm so sorry that the "staying home with kids sucks!" was the tone of that lesson. It can be extremely challenging to be a mom, but so much more rewarding. I guess that is one thing I love about being in young womens is they all express such love for their parents and the sacrfices that they have made for them. And I love being a stay at home mom. It's the best thing ever! Being a mom is the second greatest thing to every happen to me, and I couldn't have the second without the first(Brad). I know that to have kids can be a very hard decision and thing to do, especially with the way the world is right now. But I wanted to let you know that being a stay-at-home-mom is great. And I love my "work" and wouldn't trade it for anything...and part of the reason i'm not good at visiting teaching is I just hate to be away from Christian. :) hope all is well with you guys and living in Idaho...
Love,
BrieAnn Schmidt
not-a wymount mom, but was really close to being one.

Katie said...

YIkes! That stinks! Let me start out by saying that being a mom is by far the best thing I have ever done with my life, and I love every minute of it. Sure, it has it's challenges, but really, what doesn't? I love being home with my boys! I think when moms get together though, it does kinda turn into a venting session but I think it's just because we need reassured we're not the only ones who go through certain situations. But hey, if you need to know the good things about having kids, just ask me! Love ya!

Sarah Roberts said...

thanks for all of your comments Ladies....they all help a lot....I just had to double check ;)...because as I am not a mom yet (although I do mother my hubby quite a bit....It is easy for me to see the down sides because I have already had a similar experience to being a mother from the time I was 9 until the time I was 21....and unless I hear the good sides which I never experienced really.....it is hard for me to have the desire to commit to such a huge responsibility as motherhood...I appreciate you all and your comments...thank you

Tammy said...

Being a stay-at-home mom is my favorite job in the world!!!! I love staying home and playing with Maddie!!!! Lots of fun!!!

*Meg Larsen* said...

it's always worth it. there is nothing in the world that can replace sweet baby kisses! I can't even sneeze without scotty coming up to kiss it better and asking me: "otay, mommy? otay? i wuv you mommy!"

wouldn't trade it for anything and i'm sad for people who miss out on that.

Crystal said...

Thanks for the post, it made me stop and think about what it means to me to be a mom. The thing that has changed the most since Tommy was born and I quit working to stay home with him is that I look forward to getting up each day. I don't dread going back to work on Monday and I never have to stress about an upcoming test or deadline. I just live and I'm just happy. Some days are harder than others, but at the end of the day I love being the person that can calm Tommy down when he is sad or the one that he reaches for when someone else is holding him. That's my two cents:)