Blog Archive

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Three years in the making.

On April 9th at 4pm I defended my thesis. I was so nervous. The whole morning I was having anxiety and panic attacks. My friend Sarah said I looked pale...but I guess that is to be expected.


Right before heading to school.

At 2pm I arrived at school and practiced until 3pm. I then went to set up my room- but found people in there and had to wait until 350pm to do anything. Several people helped me set up the cake and ice cream sundae bar that I brought as treats and I prepared to face my impending doom.


A pic of me and my presentation right before I started.

At 4pm we discovered I was missing one of my committee members...we found him by 405 pm. The late start was fine as Andy was still on his way. He walked in shortly after I began my presentation. I presented for 35 to 40 minutes. Then I answered questions. After which everyone was kicked out and I had to face my committee alone. They didn't ask me anything too difficult and only kept me for 30 minutes. They kicked me out and decided my fate. I passed. All they want me to do is make a few revisions to my thesis and I am done. After this process me, my hubby, my mom, step dad, baby sister, Maruthi (the amazing postdoc), and our friends Mary and Craig all headed over to Bombay House to celebrate and we had a blast eating for 2 hours!!!






The peeps that came to dinner

The next day my lab had a toast to celebrate my defense.







Although I know I am pretty much done- I don't feel any different at all. I am still kind of in shock that it even happened. It feels like a dream. So all I have to do now is a little research fix my thesis and turn it in, finish TAing and teaching and then I walk on the 24th. Shortly after I will be moving back to Idaho- as in the 26th.

More news:
Tuesday I had a job interview with the College of Southern Idaho, they liked me so much they want me to come up for an in person interview and they want to see me teach- hence why I am moving sooner than originally planned. They want me there on the 27th and the 28th. I am excited.

Wednesday night I attended a Chemistry department banquet and had a blast with good friends and free food. I didn't win anything, but who cares.







A week ago I got certified as a spin instructor- so I am now certified to teach group fitness and spin. I have one more workshop coming up on the 25th to be certified in pilates and yoga. Yay!

Last night Andy and I went to a Chris Merritt concert!!! It was a blast! Our friend Al was playing the drums so it was fun to go and support him while listening to awesome music!





Andy got me and ipod nano!!!



I am super excited to use it- so I went and got the running thingy you hook up to an ipod to keep tabs on the distance and pace I am running. I am going to have so much time on my hands now so I might as well train for things ;). I want to have a fun summer for once in my life so I have all sorts of plans for camping, hiking, vacationing, exercising, non college classes, art, music, dancing...etc!!!! I am so excited to have spare time in my life!!!!!! yay!!!!!

7 comments:

Gil said...

Congratulations Sarah! You're so awesome!

Katie said...

I am so proud of you Sarah! You are one amazing girl!! Congratulations MASTER!!!!!

Bri said...

Wow...what a huge feat! You are so accomplished! I'm am so happy for you because I know it was a long and drawn-out process. Congratulations!

Holly R said...

Wow! That is amazing, exciting. Congratulations. Jonathan and I are so proud of you. Good luck with moving and everything.

Calley said...

Congratulations lady!!!! On everything, ahhhh that's gotta feel SO good to check so many things off your list. And to move by your hubby soon. You are awesome! Enjoy it, you deserve it!

Tammy said...

Yay! congrats! You are amazing!

Emily said...

Congrats Sarah! You did it! Can't wait to hear how the job pans out! You deserve a break!